The NSW Department of Education’s Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation, in collaboration with Andrew Martin and his colleagues, has further developed the approach to goal setting through the concept of Growth Goals.
Research published by CESE indicates Growth Goal setting:
• improves student engagement and achievement
• is associated with increased gains in aspirations, perseverance and homework behaviour
• supports attendance for students of low socioeconomic backgrounds
• strengthens aspirations to complete Year 12, particularly for students with low prior achievement
• can be fostered through explicit teaching, and provision of feedback and relevant content.
You can take a look at the research here: Growth Goal Setting